Friday, August 13, 2004

Me, Myself and those Steely things.

Sometimes I cogitate, what others are thinking about me, especially when I am in some social gathering. This has happened countless number of times with me. The last time, I'm sure, was the last Friday when I went to that Spanish restaurant with my team for a welcome lunch for one of the senior member who came back to the team after an year or so.

The restaurant was selected by one of the team members and it was near our office premises. The menu card was also available before one day. It was pre-decided menu and comprised of starters with drinks (non-alcohol, ofcourse!!) main course followed by tea/coffee and cookies as dessert. The dessert reminds me of one the luncheonette where for dessert, the menu card said 'desert', interesting eh! So I decided to have Grilled Chicken Burrito. The name suggested it to be some exotic dish and so the vignette below its name which said 'Chicken and rice wrapped with tortilla bread, sprinkled with shredded Cheddar cheese and served with beans and vegetables'. So I thought of tring out this dish. The other reason for choosing this dish was that the other dishes either had beef/shrimps or was totally vegeteranian, both sometimes can be very bland in taste.

Before this, there were some starters which comprised of tangri kabaab types something, and egg wrapped appalams, both palatable food with some vegetable salad. The name for both I'm not sure, but they were delicious. This was served with soda of our choice. By the way, here even cold drinks are called soda. I wanted to have my favourite drink, Coca Cola ( not the diet one, which I see more famous here), but they were the men in Blue, the Pepsi Guys, so I went for Sprite. In front of me, there was a big shot of our team, who seemed to be au courant, especially in the American politics and elections which are around the corner. Full time people around were listening to him about his view, facts of American politics, its Presidents etc. I was sitting like a dumb, laughing when I could catch some joke or when I see other junta smiling or laughing. I was very conscious about my attitude and behaviour. Anyway, after that came the main menu.

Let me describe the dish, visually. This was a small chicken pieces, conglomerated with rice and wrapped with what we call roti. Besides this, it had dal makhni and some lettuce leaves with some tomatoes and onions cut very fine. Total desi style. Everybody started eating with fork and knife. Wonder, roti aur chicken choori aur chaaku se, yuk!! Anyway, I also started eating, but it was totally uncomfortable for me. That reached the height and I was embarrassed when my knife touched the ground. I could figure out that other junta also was also not confortable with it, so I decided to use the natural knife and spoons, the hands. Thus, reducing the chargin.

Finally, the dessert had some cookies. Fortunately, you don't need those steely things to consume these. That was one afternoon, very hard to forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home